- God wants us to commit our plans to Him.
- He is the decisive factor if they succeed or fall short.
- We should seek and pray that our heart and plans line up with God’s purposes.
“Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.” John 5:23
“The true measure of the greatness of sin is not the way it ruins human life, but the way it dishonors God.”
- Does my life honor God?
- Have I been ignoring God? Have I turned my back on Him?
Okay, so what do we do?
So have you ever bombed a test?
Retakes for Growth
“For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”
- What do you think Levi was thinking when Jesus asked him to “follow me and be my disciple”? (Why me?…amazed…but thankful…sensing love?)
- Who are you most like in this interaction? (Crowd, Levi, other disciples, religious person, other sinners). Why?
A Life Changing Invitation
When Jesus calls you it is not just so you can break free of the disease of sin in your life and enjoy the love of God in your life. It is ALSO an invitation into the Rescue Mission.
What is controlling your life?
If you are like me you may think at first, “Nothing! I’m good. No worries here.”
- Relationship with the opposite sex?
- Outburst of anger or selfishness?
- Habit that you know is wrong or not healthy?
- Friendship or peer group that is steering you down a wrong life path?
If so, the questions is “Do you want to break free from it?”
Just like the man who was controlled by an impure spirit, by faith in the power of Jesus, we can get free from those impure spirits controlling our lives.
- Cry out to Jesus (v.23 “the man cried out”). Believe Jesus has the power to overcome what is holding you.
- Submit to God (James 4:7) “Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”
- Resist the attack– How?
PRAY: Jesus I need your help right now with ______________. I’m tired of the control it has had in my life. I submit and humble myself before you that I can’t take it anymore but I know You can. I speak against __________ that has been tormenting me. In Jesus name it is gone from my life. God by your power I will run from any temptation that is trying to pull me down and I will resist my own fleshly desires that are not honoring to You. Grant me the faith to know, love, obey and pursue You, Jesus as my greatest treasure!
READ: Mark 1: 21-28
Can you imagine what would you have been thinking and feeling if you saw this scene just go down? When you think about it, this encounter could have been taken directly out of the latest paranormal movie today. Honestly if I was there when this happened, I would be out the door in five seconds.
Jesus Has Authority
The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. – Colossians 1: 15-17
We Have Authority
“When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases,” Luke 9:1
Could it be that something is controlling your life and your not even aware of it?
It may not be something demonic, but could it be something you have allowed to creep in slowly that now has control over you? Ask yourself:
- Did I used to have a desire for the God that has slowly declined?
- What do I now think about most of the time? Is it all about me and what I want most of the time?
- Is there something “impure” or that doesn’t honor God or others that you know you shouldn’t be doing, but you keep doing it anyway?
I will outline in the next devotion some ways God gives us to break free from those things in our life. Until then, tell God about it and if your willing to post what has been controlling you, share it below or at least send me a message and I would love to encourage you as you begin to break free from it.
“Dear friends, do not believe every spirit,
but test the spirits to see whether they are from God…
God who is in you is greater
than the [evil] one who is in the world.”~ 1 John 4:1-4
Jesus’ personality and spirit captivated people. This was so evident because many not only came to Jesus themself, but some took it further and brought those they love and care about to Him. (v.30,32). One of the awesome things about Him is it doesn’t even matter what you look like or how unpopular you are. Jesus proved He is willing to cleanup any insecurities we see in our body or our heart (v.40). All we need to do is come to Him with a heart of faith.
➡️ Do you really believe in Jesus enough to bring people to Him?
➡️ Do you believe in Jesus enough to come to Him yourself?
PRAY: Jesus I know you are willing to touch my heart and make me clean and new. I ask you now and receive your words that I am healed. You have made me new, and are continuing to make me newer too. Use me as well to bring others to You.
READ: Mark 8:31-36
What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?
- Do you have in mind human concerns most of the time or are you focused on what God is concerned about?
- What have you been trying to “gain” from the world at the risk of “forfeiting” your soul?
“Whether you’re 14 or 44, the company you keep, determines the heights that you will peak.”
“The friends you give your calendar to are vitamins or poisons. The best bring out the best in you, the worst tell you that your worst is best.”
- Are my friends reliable?
- Are my friends leading me toward more positive things than negative?
- Am I and my group of friends encouraging each other to move away (“flee”) from things that dishonor God? Are we instead pursuing “righteousness, faith, love and peace” that God wants in our life?